About the Seminar
Intellectual property rights (IPRs) are legal rights established over creative or inventive ideas. IPRs are broadly divided into copyrights, trademarks, designs, patents, geographical indications (GI), plant variety protection and semiconductor layout design protection. This IPRs generally allow the right holders to exclude the unauthorized commercial use of their creations/inventions by third persons.
The rationale for the establishment of a legal framework on IPRs is that it ensures rewards and incentives for creative and inventive ideas. Several of the IPRs mentioned are relevant to the agricultural sector in that they can be used to protect goods or services produced in the agricultural sector.
This symposium aims to discuss deliberate various aspects aimed at protection, promotion of Geographical Indicators and the potential areas of threat to farmers’ sovereignty (in their profession), due to the advent of plant breeders rights will be discussed.
Call for Papers
We cordially invite papers from the members of corporate community, government officials, academicians, advocates, NGOs, researcher scholars and the students on the sub-themes to be covered in the seminar.
- Building Brands through Geographical Indications: Legal and Regulatory aspects
GI and Rural Development
- Multilateral Register (MR) for GI
- GI as a tool for Protection of Traditional Knowledge (TK): Meeting Points and Conflicts
- GI and Consumer Protection
- GI based on Appellation of origin/ Indication of Source
- Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Act (PPVFRA) and Farmers’ Rights and
- Plant Breeders’ Rights- Areas of Conflict and need for balance.
- Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)-The background of Plant Breeders Rights (PBR)
- International Convention for the Protection of Plant Varieties (UPOV) 1991- the nature and scope of Plant Breeders Rights (PBR)
- Access to the Plant Genetic Resources (PGR) and Traditional Knowledge (TK) of the farmers- the rights recognized by Convention on Bio-diversity (CBD)
- Farmers’ Right to use and re-use the Plant Genetic Resources (PGR) of plant breeders Problems in the context of Biotechnology
*The above themes are illustrative and not exhaustive. The participants are free to submit a paper on any issue related to Seminar theme.
- The word limit for the abstract is 300-500 words in Times New Roman, 12 font size, 1.5 spacing.
- The abstract must be accompanied with biographical details of the author(s) along with the title of the paper (Name, Designation, Institutional affiliation, contact no. and email address).
- The abstract must be submitted on or before 18th August 2018.
- The selection of abstracts would be intimated on 20th August 2018.
- The registration for the symposium shall be done after the selection of abstract.
- The full paper should be of 3000-5000 words (exclusive of footnotes) and needs to be submitted on or before 2nd September 2018.
- The body of the submission must be in Times New Roman, 12 font size, and 1.5 spacing.
- The footnotes must be in Times New Roman, 10 font size, and single spacing.
- The margin of 1 inch on all sides must be maintained throughout the paper.
- The OSCOLA (4th ed.) style of the citation must be strictly followed.
- All submissions should be sent in .doc/.docx format only.
- Any non-compliance with the prescribed guidelines would lead to prima facie rejection.
- Co-authorship up to two authors is allowed.
- No part of the paper should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication.
- All the submissions should be sent through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Selected few papers will be published in a book with an ISBN number.
Research Scholars and students: Rs 500/-
Academicians: Rs. 1000/-
Institutions: Rs. 2500/-
Each of the co-authors needs to register separately.
Deadline for Abstract Submission: 18th August 2018.
Intimidation of Selection of Abstract: 20th August 2018.
Deadline for Full Paper Submission: 2nd September 2018.
Date of Symposium: 8th September 2018.
Prasuna Sreerangam: +91-9160740615
K. Siva Rama Raju: +91-8500118765