About Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR)
It is the statutory body created by an act of Parliament under Commission For Protection of Child Rights Act, 2005 to act as monitoring body for the effective implementation of child rights in the state.
The commission is responsible for:
- Examining complaints of violation of child rights;
- Run public campaign, training, and workshops to raise awareness and capacity on the themes of sexual safety, right to education, nutrition, disability and child labor;
- Undertake or commission research studies on various themes of child rights;
- Examine bills/policies/regulations/laws/budget from a child rights perspective and make recommendations to the government;
The officers posted in the Commission are called Members. It is Principal Secretary, Government of Delhi equivalent post. (Note: Principal Secretary is the highest ranking officer in any department. Example: The officer who the Directors of school education, technical education and higher education reports to is called Principal Secretary)
Internship Type: Work related to Protection of Children from sexual offenses. (POCSO)
- Office Intern
- Field Intern
Duration of Internship:
Minimum 1 Month. Ideally, we expect interns to work with us for 45 Days.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Examine the complaints that the Commission receives from time to time-related to rights of the children particularly POCSO and assist the Commission in tracking cases of sexual violence.
- Providing support to the victim or the family and identify the policy/process breakdowns.
- Work with appropriate government officials to bridge the identified gap through capacity building and streamlining of processes.
- Assist the Commission in any other work related to child rights that may arise on a needs basis.
- ObserveChild-Friendly Police Thana, Child Welfare Committee, One Stop Crisis Center on an Observation Tool.
- Prepare a report about their working status and suggestions.
- Submit the report to the commission at the end of the internship.
Why is this important?
Child Sex Abuse is considered the most heinous crime which can be done to a child as it exposes a child to grave trauma. It leads to grave physical and psychological effects on the body and an everlasting scar on the child’s mind at a very nascent age.
Hundreds of complaints related to sexual offenses on children go unreported. In order to effectively address the crimes of sexual abuse and sexual exploitation of children, it is essential that those grievances are addressed swiftly ensuring the fullest well-being of the child as well fix the systemic gaps that led to the development of grievance in the first place.
Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Someone with outstanding formal writing
- Students pursuing LL.B. course in a recognized university shall be given preference.
- Applicants must have a knowledge of POCSO, JJ Act, and other penal laws.
- Aware about locations in Delhi (If Field Intern)
Values and Competencies
- Strong work ethics
- Effective Communication – written and verbal
- Confident and able to work with people in a position in a different government setting i.e SP, Director etc. (If Field Intern)
How to apply
NOTE: Currently we need interns to start in the third week of August.
In case you are available in any other month you can mention this in google form. We are creating a database for applications we will process you accordingly.
You can also mail your CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.