Wildlife SOS was established in 1995 by a small group of individuals inspired to start a movement and make a lasting change to protect and conserve India’s natural heritage, forest and wildlife wealth.
Wildlife SOS invites applications for the position of a legal associate.
- Research pertaining to litigations engaged in by Wildlife SOS
- Coordinating and liaising with other lawyers practicing animal law in India
- Briefing senior advocates and the Wildlife SOS senior management about various wildlife matters, status of court cases and court dates.
- Identifying scope of litigation against poaching, wildlife trafficking and animal welfare in India
- Conducting background research, filing right to information applications to develop litigious strategies for issues related to wildlife.
- Drafting agreements, contracts, MoUs and other legal documents for Wildlife SOS
- Liaising with Forest Department officials & enforcement agencies regarding wildlife matters and providing assistance where necessary.
- Providing campaigners, researchers, investigators and caseworkers of Wildlife SOS with legal support.
- Researching, interpret and apply pertinent central government and state government statutes, regulations, and case law.
- Reporting on weekly developments in all significant matters as well as future courses of action and related deadlines.
- Handling all legal matters on behalf of Wildlife SOS
- Conduct Wildlife Law Enforcement Workshops for Forest and Police Officers all across India
- Ensuring that the organization’s work conforms to legal requirements
- Assisting in exercising due diligence, by maintaining clear records of correspondence and court-related documents.
- Traveling for meetings, events, and other activities, as needed
- Performing any other duties related to the field of animal law and welfare & as assigned by the Organisation.
Skills and Experience:
- B.A. LL.B / B.B.A. LL.B / Law graduate from a university recognized by The Bar Council of India.
- Experience of 1- 2 years of litigation in Criminal Law
- Fluent in English, Hindi (speech & script)
- Fluent in conducting court arguments in Hindi
- Experience as a volunteer for wildlife conservation/animal welfare is desirable
- Must have a fair knowledge of animal welfare movement in India
- Knowledge of Wildlife Protection Act 1972, Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960, Criminal Procedure Code, 1973
- Passion to help animals is an absolute must
Please send CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in this position. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s ability and experience.