International E-Conference on Law and Society | REVA University | Staffordshire University, UK
REVA University is organizing an International E-Conference on Law and Society in collaboration with Staffordshire University, UK on 2nd December 2022.
Centre for Human Rights Law and Policy, School of Legal Studies, REVA University is organizing an International E-Conference on Law and Society in collaboration with The Staffordshire Law School, The School of Justice, Security and Sustainability, Staffordshire University, UK on 2nd December 2022.
About Staffordshire University
Staffordshire University is located across two campuses in the towns of Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford and was established in 1992, with around 12,000 students currently enrolled. The University offers a wide variety of two-year 'fast track' degrees in subjects such as Business, Law and Computer Science. The University focuses on employability and has partnerships with prestigious global companies, such as Microsoft and CISCO, and industry links with global leaders including Amazon and Google. On 12 May 2022 the results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 exercise were announced and Staffordshire University achieved a substantial improvement in its research performance:
- 68% of Staffordshire University's research was recognised as 3* and 4*, which is "internationally excellent" and "world leading" respectively. This is up from 37% in 2014 when the last REF results were announced.
- 87% of the University's research impact has been rated as (3*) "very considerable" or (4*) "outstanding". In total, 109 members of staff and 244 research outputs were submitted into REF 2021. Staffordshire University entered seven Units of Assessment: Allied Health; Engineering; Archaeology; Business and Management; Social Work and Social Policy; Art and Design and Communication and Cultural Studies. Each unit had research which has been recognised as "world leading".
The School of Justice, Security and Sustainability
Built on the foundations of the former School of Law, Policing and Forensics is the new academic School of Justice, Security and Sustainability. The new academic school also brings in colleagues from former Schools of Life Sciences and Education, Health and Social Care and Staffordshire Business School, to breathe new life into future-focused areas of sustainable business and innovation. Bringing innovation-led research and teaching in areas like sustainably business, wellbeing, hardship and climate change offers new and exciting opportunities to strengthen provisions around the likes of global security, social justice academic delivery, research into pollution, and collaboration with Centre of Archaeology, and Centre for Business Innovation and Enterprise. The following courses are currently being offered at the School of Justice, Security and Sustainability:
- Business School
- Forensic Science
- History, Security and International Relations
- Policing and Investigation
- Social Justice
REVA University has been established under the REVA University Act, 2012. Recognized as one of the top 50 private universities in India, REVA University, with innovative pedagogy, exemplary infrastructure, and industry-resilient curriculum that is designed for future job market, strives to benchmark new milestones in modern education. The University is located in Bengaluru on a sprawling green campus, spread over 45 acres of land, built with state-of-the-art infrastructure creating an environment conducive to higher learning and research. The founders of REVA University believe in the motto 'Knowledge is Power'. Driven with a philanthropic vision and a mission, the campus is built to transform students into outstanding citizens. The University prides itself in contributing to every student's holistic development. The various programmes offered by REVA University are well planned and designed based on in depth analysis and research with emphasis on knowledge assimilation, practical applications, hands-on trailing, global and industrial relevance and their social significance.
School of Legal Studies
The School of Legal Studies offers graduate and post graduate programmes with an objective of preparing law professionals, with a sound understanding of the foundations of legal knowledge. The school offers B.A., LL. B (Hons.), B.B.A, LL. B (Hons.) of five-year duration and one-year LLM in Business & Corporate Law and Criminal Law. The school also undertakes various consultancy projects. Equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure including Moot Court Hall, Legal Aid Clinic, library with variety of print and online resources. The school focuses on advancement and dissemination of knowledge of law and legal processes in the context of national development. The school in addition to its well experienced and qualified law faculty members invites regularly practicing lawyers and legal luminaries as adjunct faculty, guest faculty members to facilitate practical exposure to the students.
In today's world, most aspects of human behaviour are regulated by legal rules and principles. From policies affecting the poor to regulating economic and political agendas between powerful nations, law plays an important role in shaping the future for coming generations. However, an unprecedented rise in exclusionary and punitive State policies and practices have produced high levels of contemporary issues in the field of law. In the context of changing socio-political scenarios around the world, there is a need to re-evaluate our understanding of applicability of legal rules that can bring about real change in society and provide opportunity for the betterment of everyone. With that said, we should also be mindful of the injustices that arise due to exclusionary policies resulting in the structural denial of basic freedoms. This, undoubtedly, is the focus of this international e-conference via its theme of 'Law and Society', and through the deliberations that we have today we hope to highlight among other things the issues pertaining to the protection of basic human rights like food, health, clothing, decent standard of living which are essential in order to make effective changes for the betterment of everyone especially the vulnerable communities around the world. Debating the nexus between law and society bearing in mind the tenets of international human rights law gives us all an opportunity to not only study the structural inequalities prevalent in varied spheres of human life but also look for solutions that can help us create a strong mechanism to enforce socio-economic rights and better assess the feasibility of government policies on the grounds of social justice. Therefore, this e-conference aims at exploring the relationship between law and society from broader perspectives.
Objectives of the Conference
- To foster a research culture based around the understanding of 'Law and Society' from a range of different perspectives, including doctrinal, socio-legal, interdisciplinary and theoretical.
- To provide an opportunity for postgraduate students and early career researchers to present their ongoing research, engage with new ideas, and connect with fellow researchers.
- To provide a platform to highlight research across disciplines that have at times been quite narrow in scope.
Suggested topics under the theme 'Law and Society' for the international e-conference include, but are not limited to:
- Social Justice and Equality
- Gender Studies
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law
- International Law
- Right to Environment
- Challenges to International Humanitarian Law
The international e-conference is open to:
The abstract shall not exceed 400 words, and must be accompanied by a short bio of 50 words and a cover page, stating the following:
- Title of the Paper
- Name of the Author(s)
- Name of the Institution
- E-mail Address
The abstract with the above mentioned details is to be sent to [email protected]
- Co-authorship is permitted to a maximum of two authors and at least one author must attend the conference to present the paper.
- Selection of the paper presenters will be based on the selection of abstracts. Submission of full paper is not required.
- Prior registration is mandatory for paper-presenters as well as participants for the conference.
- Participants are requested to fill the Registration Form and upload the Fees Receipt by clicking the below link.
Registration Form: Click Here
Other Important Information
The participants will receive a participation certificate, and the presenters who present their papers will receive a presentation Certificate. Fee ones paid is not refundable under any circumstance. The selection of the Abstract is reserved by the organizers of the conference.
- Submission of Abstract : 10th November 2022
- Communication of Acceptance of Abstract : 17th November 2022
- Last date of Registration : 25th November 2022
- Date of the Conference : 2nd December 2022
Microsoft Teams shall be used for paper presentation and conduct of the conference. Further, details on the usage and registration to the platform will be shared to the participants at a later stage.
- Chief Patron
- Dr. P. Shyama Raju, Hon'ble Chancellor, REVA University
- Dr. M. Dhanamjaya, Vice Chancellor, REVA University
- Dr. N. Ramesh, Registrar, REVA University
- Prof. (Dr.) Bharathi S, Director, School of Legal Studies, REVA University
- Dr. Samantha Spence, Senior Lecturer, The Staffordshire Law School School of Justice, Security and Sustainability Staffordshire University, UK
- Ms. Amlanika Bora, Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, REVA University
- Dr. Amit Anand, Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, REVA University
- Organising Committee
- Ms. Dipanwita Jena, Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, REVA University
- Ms. Radhika Belapurkar, Assistant Professor, School of Legal Studies, REVA University
- Student Co-ordinators
- Ms. Prachi Garg (+91 70118 72929)
- Mr. Arijit Chowdhury (+91 74394 56534)
For Any Further Details Contact: [email protected]
Submitted By: Organising Committee