3rd Prof. Anil Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition | Panjab University
Department of Laws, Panjab University is organising the 3rd Prof. Anil Kumar Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition. Scroll down for more details!
Department of Laws, Panjab University is delighted to announce the 3rd Prof. Anil Kumar Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition on the theme Uniform Civil Code (Should be or Should not be), scheduled to be held on 18th October 2023.
About the Department of Laws
The Department of Laws, originally established at Lahore in 1889, was re-established at Shimla in 1948, shifted to Jalandhar in 1950, and finally re-located at the University Campus at Chandigarh in 1959. Its Alumni include Judges of the Supreme Court and High Courts, Union Cabinet Ministers, State Chief Ministers, Cabinet Ministers, Ambassadors, Senior Bureaucrats, Police Officers, and other legal luminaries. The Department always strives to create new opportunities for its students. The Department provides practical training to the students to hone their skills in various fields for the overall development of personality such as in the arena of Debate, Moot Court, Client Counselling, etc. by organizing various competitions and seminars.
About the Competition
The Department of Laws is going to organize the 3rd Prof. Anil Kumar Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition on October 18, 2023, in the loving memory of Prof. (Dr.) Anil Kumar Thakur. Earlier, the Department successfully organized two editions of the said Competition on the themes “Same Sex Marriages: Rejection or Recognition?” on 10th November 2022 and “Social Media and Right to Privacy” on 15th March 2022.
The Uniform Civil Code refers to the proposition of having a uniform set of personal laws for all citizens of a country, irrespective of their religious or cultural affiliations. The concept of a UCC is rooted in the idea of equality and uniformity before the law and it aims to merge and uniform the personal laws based on religious practices that currently govern matters such as marriage, divorce, inheritance, adoption, and succession. In India people are governed by personal laws but keeping in mind the equality enshrined in the Constitution, whether these laws should be made uniform or not? The participants are required to debate on the issue from both perspectives in light of Constitutional provisions and Political scenarios.
- Any undergraduate student from any discipline is eligible to take part in this competition.
- Only one team per university/college/Institute is allowed to take part in the competition.
- Multiple entries from the same University/ college/ Institute shall not be entertained in any case.
- Entry in this event shall be on First cum First Serve Basis.
- Along with the Online registration form, it is mandatory for the participants to attach the payment receipt to confirm their participation.
- The registration form is required to be sealed and signed by the concerned competent authority.
- Students from the Department of Laws, Panjab University being host of the event shall be ineligible to take part in the competition.
Language of the Competition
The medium of communication for this debate shall be English only.
Date and Time
18th October, 2023 | 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
Department of Laws, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
- Winner Team: Cash Prize of INR 5500 + Trophy + Certificate
- Runner-Up Team: Cash Prize of INR 2500 + Trophy + Certificate
- Best Team: Cash Prize of INR 2500 + Trophy + Certificate
- Best Debater: Cash Prize of INR 1500 + Trophy + Certificate
Certificate of Participation shall be given to all the participants who have participated in allocated rounds and have attended the final round.
- Last Date of Online Registration & Payment of Registration Fee: 07th October 2023 till 12:00 AM. [Extended]
- Date of Event 18th October 2023.
- Registered participants will be provided accommodation only on the basis of the response filled in Google Form.
- Last-minute requests for accommodation will not be entertained.
- Without Accommodation: INR 800 per team.
- With Accommodation: INR 1200 per team.
Participants have to submit a registration form via below given link along with the payment of the Registration fee.
- A/c Holder Name: Head Deptt of Law Misc
- A/c Number: 10444977656
- Bank: State Bank of India
- IFSC: SBIN0000742
- Bank Address: Panjab University, Chandigarh
The online pre-registered teams should also bring the printed copy of the enclosed registration form duly signed by the competent authority of the University / Department/ College/ Institute along with a hard copy of the payment receipt.
Brochure: [Click here to view]
Dr. Manisha Garg [Assistant Professor]
- Ph: +91-9988749884
- Ms. Bhoomika: +91-9814466475
- Mr. Anand Goyal: +91-9417560054