Inauguration Ceremony of HILSR ADRB | Hamdard Institute of Legal Studies and Research
The School of Law's Alternative Dispute Resolution Board (ADRB) hosted its inauguration on 26th September 2022. The event was initiated by one-on-one interactions between the judges. It was attended by all the law students and was held at Jamia Hamdard Campus.
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Board (ADRB) of the School of Law, hosted its inauguration on 26th September 2022. The event was initiated by one-on-one interactions between the judges. It was attended by all the law students and was held at Jamia Hamdard Campus.
About School of Law, HILSR
Hamdard Institute of Legal Studies and Research (HILSR) is one of the departments of Jamia Hamdard. Established in 2018 after the approval from Bar Council of India (BCI), HILSR aims to produce finest legal professionals for the Bar, Bench and legal academy. Having recently admitted its fifth batch, HILSR currently offers a five-year Integrated B.A.LL.B programme.
Ever since its inception, the law school has made significant progress and has become one of the prime destinations to study law in the national capital. The faculty members at HILSR are highly qualified with diverse knowledge and experience. In addition to that, eminent judges and lawyers are also invited to provide students practical knowledge about the working of legal institutions. HILSR has quality infrastructure with air-conditioned classrooms, a well-established library, a moot court and a legal aid clinic apart from other facilities available in the campus.
Compiled List of Events done by Hamdard Institute of Legal Studies and Research (HILSR)
- Moot 3rd November 2018- Moot Court Training Workshop conducted by Team of Jamia Millia Islamia.
- 21st February 2019- Cyber Awareness cum Training Programme and familiarisation of Himmat Plus App in Collaboration with Delhi Police, presided by Shri Vijay Kumar, Indian Police Services , Deputy Commissioner of Police, South East District, New Delhi.
- 19th November 2019- Conference on Right to Information presided over by Prof (Dr.) M. Sridhar Acharyulu (Former Central Information Commissioner), Prof (Dr.) MM Ansari (Former Central Information Commissioner), Afroz Alam Sahil (Senior Activist and Journalist) and Dr. Abha Yadav (Dy. Registrar, Legal, JNU)
- 24th October 2021- 2 Day workshop on Mooting and Advocacy Skills by Adv Mohd Yasin.
- 30th October 2021- Orientation Address on Planning your law school life and career by Adv Avani Bansal, Supreme Court.
- 6th November 2021- National Webinar on The Art of Advocacy by Adv Bharat Chugh, former Judge and founder of Chambers of Bharat Chugh.
- 9th November 2021- One day workshop on Legal Research and Writing by Adv. Mohd. Yasin.
- 17th November 2021- One day workshop on Legal Research and writing by Dr Manwendra Kumar Tiwari, Associate Professor of Law, Dharmashastra National Law University.
- 20th November 2021- National Quiz Competition on Constitutional Law.
- 9th November 2021- One day Workshop on the importance of Reading a judgment by Adv Mohd Yasin.
- 25th and 26th November 2021- Two-day National workshop on procedural and substantive aspects of Patent and Copyright in collaboration with CIPAM, A Government of India undertaking..
- 27th November 2021- National Lecture on "Why Constitution Matters" presided over by Adv Karuna Nundy, Supreme Court of India.
- 26th November 2021- Online Panel Discussion on Trial by Media and Press freedom.
- 29th November 2021- Interactive Session on "Role of Discipline and Perseverance in the Journey of becoming a Judge, by Ms. Sana Khan, DJS.
- 2nd December 2021- Lecture on Indian Constitution and Minority Rights by Abdul Mateen (Asst Professor, Jadav University, Kolkata)
- 16th December 2021- One-day interactive session on "Significance of Article 39A: Equal Justice and Free Legal Aid" by Adv Puneet Kumar Vohra, Speaker, DLSA (North).
- 20th December 2021- Workshop on How to draft a memorial by Adv Mohd. Yasin.
- 23rd December 2021- Nukkad Natak on Road Safety in Jamia Hamdard campus by Legal Aid Committee students.
- 24 December 2022- Lecture on "How to get started with MUNs"- by Kaushal Singh.
- 02nd February 2022 - Orientation for law students by Prof. Dr. Iqbal Hussain, Dean Jamia Millia Islamia.
- 1st-4th February 2022- Intra Moot Court Competition.
- 24th January 2022- Lecture on "How to get started with MUNs" by Mr. Kaushal Singh.
- 11th February 2022- Lecture on "Internship for law students" by Mr. Amit K Kashyap, Asst Prof, Law, and Nirma University.
- 17th February 2022 - Inauguration of Legal Literacy Club And Legal Aid Clinic by judges of Delhi Legal Services Authority (south)- Shree Kanwaljeet Arora, judge, Delhi High Court, Ms. Namrita Aggarwal, Judge, Delhi Higher Judicial services and Ms. Nabeela Wali, Judge and Secretary DLSA South.
- 18th February 2022- Legal Aid Awareness Drive by the students of Legal Aid Committee in the slums of Sangam Vihar, New Delhi.
- 20 February 2022 – Panel Discussion on "Lacunas in Rape laws." The speakers were - Adv Flavia Agnes (Women's Rights Lawyer) , Dr. Charu Walikhanna (former member NHRC), Adv RHA Sikander, Mr. Amitabh Srivastava (Senior Activist and Journalist)
- 23-24th February 2022- Model United Nations Conference (Online)
- 25th February 2022- Session on Career Development and Mentorship by Dr. Niteesh Kumar Upadhyay, Associate Professor of Law, Galgotias University.
- 2nd and 4th march 2022- Workshop on Mooting by Adv Mohd Yasin
- 4th march 2022- Interactive session on Clinical Legal Education by Prof Dr. Bharti, National Law University, Delhi.
- 7th March 2022- Lecture on Understanding Dr. BR Ambedkar's Contribution to Indian Constitution by Prof. Narendra Kumar, Chairperson Centre for Political Studies, JNU.
- 11th March 2022- Legal Awareness drive on Women Rights and Social Skit presented by students of Legal Aid Committee on Domestic Violence and Save Girl child at various Government Schools of Tughlakabad.
- 12th March 2022- Students of Legal aid Committee volunteered with Delhi Legal services Authority at the National Lok Adalat and surveyed the impact of Lok Adalats.
- 15th March 2022- Lecture on Elements of Constitutionalism in the Indian Constitution by Dr. P. Puneeth, Associate Professor, JNU.
- 11th March 2022- A talk on "Society and Literature: A symbiotic relationship" by Chandrika R. Krishnan, Writer and Educationist.
- 25-27th March 2022- First Hakeem Abdul Hameed Moot Court Competition, 2022.
- 06th April 2022- Lecture on "Broadcaster's right in the digital era" by Dr. M. Sakthivel, Assistant Professor of Law, GGS University, New Delhi.
- 08th April 2022- Lecture on "How to organize your Law School Days" by Ms. Shriya Maini, Advocate on Record, Supreme Court of India.
- 26th April 2022- Panel discussion on "Data Protection & Privacy and its Role in Intellectual Property" on the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day.
- 27th May 2022-.Lecture on Feminist Jurisprudence by Prof. Rukmini Sen. Associate Professor, B. R. Ambedkar University, New Delhi.
- 03rd June 2022- One day workshop on "One Earth" on the eve of Environment Day, presided by Mr. Rakesh Khatri, Foundation, Eco Roots Foundation, "Nest Man of India" and Mr. Vipul Sandwar, Delhi Judicial Services.
- 1-2nd June 2022: Workshop on Petition Writing.
- 4th-6th June 2022: 1st Intra Petition-Writing Competition at HILSR.
- A team from Jamia Hamdard, School of Law, HILSR participated in the VTH edition of National Law School- Trilegal International Arbitration Moot, 2022.
- Upcoming: A team from Jamia Hamdard, School of Law is participating in the Prof. V.S Mallar Memorial National Legal Aid Competition.
About HILSR Alternative Dispute Resolution Board (ADRB)
The HILSR Alternative Dispute Resolution Board (ADRB) was constituted as an extended arm of the Academic committee to promote interest in ADR methods given its current relevance to the legal profession. The Board was established in 2022 as an initiative to develop a culture of ADR in HILSR that enables skill-development and helps us compete at the national and international level. The Board wishes to bring a positive change in the view of the society regarding disputes/disagreements not as something negative but as an opportunity. The ADR board trains the young student in the practice of various ADR mechanisms, such as negotiation, mediation and client counselling, in the hope that these students alter the way we look at and resolve disputes.
About Inauguration Ceremony of ADRB
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Board (ADRB) of School of Law, being in its nascent stage will be hosting its inauguration on 26th September,2022. The event will be intimated by one-on- one interactions between the judges. It shall be address by all the law students and will be held at Jamia Hamdard Campus.
About the Guests
1. Hon'ble Justice M.L Mehta
M.L. Mehta is the founder and chairman of the Delhi Dispute Redressal Society (DDRS), an autonomous registered government society within the Law and Justice Department of the Government of India. Justice Mehta has over four decades of judicial experience and has served as both a high court and district court judge in Delhi. He has delivered thousands of judgments, many of which have been landmark pronouncements. In his long and enriching career, he has presided over all jurisdictions ranging from trial/original, appellate, writ, revenue, taxation, criminal, civil, and commercial, among others.
A pioneer in introducing court-connected mediation and community mediation in India, Justice Mehta served as a member of the Delhi High Court Mediation Committee, where he oversaw the launch, establishment, and development of all the Mediation Centres in the Delhi District Courts. Post his superannuation, Justice Mehta is actively engaged in the practice of arbitration, mediation, and consultancy.
Justice Mehta has been appointed as an arbitrator by different High Courts and the Supreme Court of India and is one of India's preeminent arbitrators for complex civil, commercial, multi-party, and high stake cases. He is empaneled on institutions, such as the Indian Council of Arbitrators and the ASSOCHAM International Council of Alternate Dispute Resolution. He has served as an arbitrator in a wide variety of arbitrations involving investments, trade, construction, oil and gas, banking, corporate, distributorship, franchising, licensing, and general commercial matters and has also mediated high stake disputes, including disputes by and against the departments of the government. Justice Mehta's stunning fervor for mediation equally encourages and motivates the litigants and the lawyers to settle cases pending in the courts. He has successfully mediated/conciliated more than one thousand cases, including: corporate disputes, commercial conflicts, school education mediation, company disputes, divorce mediation, labor disputes, and community mediation.
2. Mr. Tariq Khan
Advocate practicing in the Delhi High Court and Supreme Court of India having significant experience in domestic and international arbitrations, commercial disputes, writs, MSME disputes, Insolvency & Bankruptcy cases. Currently working as the Registrar of the International Arbitration and Mediation Centre (IAMC), Hyderabad. Former Partner of Advani Law, New Delhi (Formerly Advani & Co.). Professor (Adjunct) at NALSAR University of Law. Authored several books including a commentary on Indian Arbitration Law and Law Relating to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises. Also, recognized as an Arbitration Expert by SCCOnline.
Conducted several training programs for arbitrators, mediators, lawyers, JAG officers, IPS officers, corporate counsel etc., and a resource person in various national and international institutions. As a columnist, I have more than 60 publications on arbitration to my credit and currently serving as an advisor to several ADR societies.
Enlisted in the Forbes Legal Powerlist, 2020-2021 as one of the top individual lawyers and the youngest lawyer listed in BW (Business World) Legal 40 under 40, 2020. Also, featured in Fortune 500 (India) Magazine for authoring the best-selling book 'On the Rise'. Member of the Scrutiny Committee of the Confederation of Alumni for National Law Universities (CAN) Foundation.
Submitted By: HILSR ADR Board