Call for Entries: 9th RMLNLU-Khaitan & Co. Conference & Essay Competition on Labour Laws
About the Opportunity The Journal Committee (“Committee”) at Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (“RMLNLU”), in collaboration with Khaitan & Co, is organising the 9th edition of the RMLNLU International Legal Essay Writing Competition (“Competition”) along with the RMLNLU-Khaitan & Co. Conference on Labour Laws. About RMLNLU RMLNLU was established in 2006 to impart quality legal… Read More »
About the Opportunity
The Journal Committee (“Committee”) at Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (“RMLNLU”), in collaboration with Khaitan & Co, is organising the 9th edition of the RMLNLU International Legal Essay Writing Competition (“Competition”) along with the RMLNLU-Khaitan & Co. Conference on Labour Laws.
RMLNLU was established in 2006 to impart quality legal education to students all over the country and to meet emerging challenges in the field of law. RMLNLU is committed to providing excellent infrastructure to its students and facilitating an environment that advances and disseminates knowledge of the law and legal processes. It aims to develop in students and research scholars, a sense of responsibility to serve society in the field of law by developing skills in advocacy and legal writing.
About Khaitan & Co.
Founded in 1911, Khaitan & Co. is among India’s oldest and most prestigious full-service law firms. It is also one of the largest law firms, with over 600 professionals. The firm has an array of practice areas which include mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, banking and finance, debt capital markets, dispute resolution, white-collar crimes, data privacy and protection, and competition/ anti-trust law. The firm has strong capabilities and deep industry knowledge across all its practice areas.
Over the years, Khaitan & Co. has consolidated its position as a leading law firm in the field of employment and labour law. Its Employment, Labour and Benefits practice provides commercially oriented and practical advice on areas and events around business sale and acquisitions, change of ownership, employee benefits including equity-based incentive schemes, employment agreements and policies, workplace diversity and discrimination issues.
Additionally, the practice specialises in contract labour and alternate employment arrangements, whistleblower complaints, employee grievance redressal, workforce restructuring, staff re-classification and mobility, workplace health and safety issues as well as immigration advisory. As recognition for the pioneering work of the firm in the field of labour and employment law, recently it was conferred with the IDEX Large Employment Law Firm of the Year award in 2019, the Legal Era Labour & Employment Law Firm of the Year 2020 – 21 award and the In-House Community Firm of the Year award in 2021.
About the Journal Committee
The Committee was constituted with the objective of promoting legal research and writing. Apart from conducting RILEC every year, the Committee annually publishes two peer-reviewed journals – the RMLNLU Law Review and the RMLNLU Journal on CMET (Communication, Media, Entertainment and Technology) Law. Both these journals publish articles, essays, case notes/comments and book reviews from contributors all over the world.
The RMLNLU Law Review also runs a blog that provides a platform for people in the field to express their opinions on contemporary legal issues.
Theme and sub-themes
This year the Committee is inviting submissions from authors on the topic- “Emerging Challenges in Labour Law”. The list of the indicated sub-themes is given below to aid the participants:
- Invisible Labour & Global Labour Law Frameworks
- The New Indian Labour Law Codes – the Code on Wages, the Code on Social Security, the Industrial Relations Code and the Occupational, Safety, Health and Working Condition Code.
- The Status of Gig Economy Workers in Global Labour Law Frameworks
- Accounting for Gender & Vulnerable Communities in the Workplace
- Employment Law – Issues & Concerns
Note: The sub-themes are only indicative. Authors are free to deviate and explore other labour law sub-themes of their own choice.
Authors must be pursuing their 5-year integrated LL.B. (Hons.) course/ 3-year LL.B. course from any recognized university in India for the academic year of 2021-2022, to be eligible to participate in the Competition.
- All entries will be judged and ranked by Khaitan & Co. and the Committee.
- The authors of the top three entries will be selected for a virtual conference. At the conference, they would be required to present their papers before a panel of judges.
- The participants may adopt any suitable means for presenting the papers including audio-visual aids, such as PowerPoint presentations.
- The final rankings of the authors of the top three entries shall be declared on the basis of their paper presentations at the virtual conference.
- Winner: Rs. 15,000/-
- First Runner-Up: Rs. 10,000/-
- Second Runner-Up: 5,000/-
- The winning team of the Competition will get an opportunity to intern at Khaitan & Co. Khaitan & Co. reserves all rights to determine the office, dates and team under which the internship is granted. The authors placed second and third may also be offered internships at Khaitan & Co.’s discretion.
- The top three entries will receive a ‘Certificate of Merit’ and a ‘Certificate of Presentation’.
- The top three entries will get an opportunity to be considered for publication in the next issue of the RMLNLU Law Review-Journal & the RMLNLU Law Review Blog.
- All participants shall receive a ‘Certificate of Participation’.
- Co-authorship of entries (maximum two) among individuals from the same or different institutions is allowed.
- Multiple entries for same authors are not allowed.
- Entries should be original, unpublished and non-plagiarised.
- Word Limit: 4000-5000 words (excluding footnotes).
- Individual Attachments: Name; contact details; current academic status (year of study, name of university etc.); undertaking as to guarantee of originality
- Font and size for the essay: Times New Roman – 12
- Font and size for footnotes: Times New Roman – 10
- Paper Size: A 4
- Line spacing: 1.5
- Margin: 1” from all sides
- Alignment: Justified
- Citation Style: Footnotes must be properly cited strictly in accordance with the latest OSCOLA (4th edition) format. No endnotes or speaking footnotes (descriptive footnotes) are permitted.
- The file name must consist only of the author’s name. Entries should be emailed to [email protected] unde
r the subject title “Entry for 9th RILEC – [Name(s) of Author(s)]” in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) format.
- Any queries relating to the Competition should be addressed to [email protected].
- The copyright for all entries shall vest with the Committee who herewith reserve the right to modify, postpone or defer the Competition and its adjudication indefinitely as and when exigencies of an unforeseen nature may arise.
- Any attempt, direct or indirect, to contact the panel of judges will be met with the immediate disqualification of the relevant entry.
- Any indication of the author’s name or university in the entry shall lead to immediate disqualification from the Competition. Details about the author may only be specified in the body of the mail and the name of the author must not be mentioned in the name of the file submitted.
Dates and Deadlines
- Last date for submission of manuscript: 17 October 2021 (Extended). Late entries will not be entertained.
- The dates of the virtual conference will be announced soon.
- E-Mail ID (for queries): [email protected]
- Contact Persons:
- Aditya Pattanayak: 9818849520
- Harsh Agarwal: 9399831636
- Dharmesh Basedia: 6370583783
For additional details on the Competition, visit this page.