Call For Applications for Associate (Litigation) | NLU Delhi | Apply by 3rd December
Call For Applications for Associate (Litigation) by NLU Delhi under Project 39A. The Last date of application is 3rd December 2021. About Call for Associate (Litigation) by NLU Delhi The National Law University, Delhi (‘University’) through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, an Associate (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi. The contract… Read More »
Call For Applications for Associate (Litigation) by NLU Delhi under Project 39A. The Last date of application is 3rd December 2021.
About Call for Associate (Litigation) by NLU Delhi
The National Law University, Delhi (‘University’) through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, an Associate (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi. The contract will be for one year initially and can be extended on an annual basis at the discretion of the University. The Associate will be responsible for working on cases being handled by Project 39A, primarily concerning prisoners sentenced to death.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. We undertake litigation, research and communications relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health and the death penalty (for more information, visit Click Here).
About the litigation initiative
Project 39A provides pro bono legal assistance to prisoners sentenced to death across the country. The Project also represents prisoners who are challenging the rejection of their mercy petitions by the Governor or the President. Additionally, the Project is involved in strategic litigation aimed at challenging procedural and substantive aspects of the criminal justice system for the realization of constitutional rights of prisoners sentenced to death. Litigation associates of the Project brief eminent senior advocates or experienced criminal defence advocates in the Supreme Court and High Courts. The Project has been involved in several Criminal Appeals, Review Petitions and Writ Petitions before various judicial fora.
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders, mercy petitions and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist senior advocates and advocates on record.
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by Project 39A and carry out related research.
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, their families as part of developing legal strategy in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case-specific information and documents.
- Present the work of Project 39A at appropriate fora.
- Contribute to the research and strategic efforts at Project 39A as and when required.
- Organise training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Graduate with an LLB degree and enrolment with any State Bar Council.
- Those with full-time criminal litigation experience of two years or more at the appellate stage will be given preference.
- The ability to read/ write/ speak different Indian languages will be an advantage but is not mandatory.
- This is a full-time position based in Delhi. Compensation: The compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Interested persons may send their résumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in representing prisoners sentenced to death and the contribution that they see themselves making through this position. The statement of purpose must not exceed 500 words. Applications and documents will be accepted only through the form available here: Click Here
Applications must reach us no later than 3rd December 2021 after which the applications will not be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be called for online interviews and tests by 10th December 2021. Interviews and tests will be held between 13th December 2021 till 17th December 2021.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email. If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks after the deadline, please assume that your application has not succeeded. Unfortunately, we cannot reply to individual queries about the status of applications.
- National Law University, Delhi is an equal opportunity employer and Project 39A ensures access to legal representation for prisoners regardless of the offence.
- National Law University, Delhi reserves the right to conduct additional rounds of interviews or written tests or simulation exercises.
- The position shall be paid under the grants received by Project 39A, National Law University, Delhi.
Source – Click Here