Last Updated on by Admin LB
The National Law Aptitude Test, 2020 (the “NLAT 2020”) will test applicants for admission to the undergraduate B.A., LL.B. (Hons) and postgraduate LL.M programmes commencing in 2020 at the National Law school of India University, Bengaluru (“NLSIU”) on subjects that correspond to the subjects proposed to be tested in the Common Law Admission Test, 2020.
The Admissions Notification outlined below exclusively governs all admissions to the B.A.,LL.B (Hons) Programme of NLSIU for the year 2020-21. Any student who seeks admission to NLSIU must apply directly to the University and complete the NLAT UG 2020 Entrance examination. The University will not accept CLAT 2020 scores for admission to Academic Year 2020-21.
The National Law School of India University was established in 1986 to pioneer legal education reform and anchor the transformation of the Indian legal system through research and policy interventions. We are dedicated to the realization of core constitutional values through a vital democracy committed to freedom and social justice. The University rests on a unique collaboration between legal academics, the Bar, the Bench and the State Government of Karnataka. This strong coalition has ensured that the University has remained the undoubted leader in legal education in India for the last three decades.
The total intake of students shall be 120 (One Hundred and Twenty). The Reservation Notification 2021 has been published separately on the website.
Eligibility of Candidates
- All candidates must have secured an unconditional pass and the minimum percentage of marks in the qualifying examination (10+2 or its equivalent examination) as specified below: i. Aggregate percentage of 45% or its equivalent grade in case of General Category and PWD students. Ii. Aggregate percentage of 40% or its equivalent grade in case of SC/ST.
- There is no upper age limit to apply.
Application and Required Documents
- The Online Application portal will open on 3rd September 2020 and will close at Midnight on 10th September 2020.
- All applications must be submitted online at https://admissions.nls.ac.in/
- Applicants must register themselves using their personal mobile number. On registration, an OTP will be sent to the given mobile number for validation. Once your mobile number is validated, you may log in using your mobile number and password provided at the time of registration.
- Please fill the form carefully. All names should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the Certificates/Mark sheets/Identity proof. Any change/alteration found may disqualify your candidature.
- Candidates will be required to upload the following documents along with the application: 1. Candidate’s recent passport size photograph, 2. Scanned copy of an original Government-issued photo-ID. Eg. Driver’s license, Aadhar Card, Voter ID, Ration Card, Passport, etc. 3. Scanned copy of original marks statement and pass certificate of standard 10, or matriculation, or equivalent examination, 4. Scanned copy of original marks statement and pass certificate of 10+2 or equivalent examination, 5. Scanned copy of original caste certificate/ tribe certificate/disability certificate wherever applicable, 6. Scanned copy of the documentary proof, including Letter from the Head of Institution and School certificates/Report cards to prove schooling in Karnataka for ten years, wherever applicable. All scanned documents must be clear and complete. In case scanned and uploaded documents are unclear, incomplete, or illegible, the application may be rejected. All documents will be subjected to physical verification at the time of admission. Any discrepancy in documents submitted will lead to automatic disqualification of the candidate. NOTE: If candidates are unable to produce one or more of the documents listed at Serial Nos. 4, 5 and 6, they must ensure that the same are provided to NLSIU authorities at the time of admission, failing which the candidate’s provisional offer of admission will be cancelled.
- Once you have finished filling in the Application and uploading all necessary documents you must save and submit the application. 4.3.7.
- After all details are filled in and documents are uploaded, candidates must sign the declaration and submit the application. The candidates are required to read the instructions carefully and furnish correct and authentic information. In case the information furnished at any stage of the application, examination and admission process is found to be false or incorrect or if there is any discrepancy or mismatch between the information furnished by the candidate at the relevant section and the certificates/documents produced at the time of admission, the provisional admission offered to the candidate shall stand cancelled with immediate effect without assigning any further reason and the candidate shall stand disqualified from being considered for further admission to NLSIU.
- No alteration/editing in the online application form can be done after successful submission/final submission of the form.
- After submission, you will be required to pay an Application Fee of Rs. 150 (General and PWD Category) and Rs. 125 (for SC / ST Candidates).
- The last date for submission of applications and making payments is 10th September 2020. Candidates are advised not to wait till the deadline for submission of applications but to submit them well in time. There will be no offline application or submission of documents.
National Law Aptitude Test – NLAT 2020
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of the aggregate marks secured in an online home-based Entrance Examination known as the National Law Aptitude Test, 2020 (NLAT). The National Law Aptitude Test, 2020 (the “NLAT 2020”) will test applicants for admission to the undergraduate B.A., LL.B. (Hons) and postgraduate LL.M programmes commencing in 2020 at the National Law school of India University, Bengaluru (“NLSIU”) on subjects that correspond to the subjects proposed to be tested in the Common Law Admission Test, 2020.
- Candidates who have submitted a valid application form will be required to appear for the NLAT. The Test shall be an online entrance examination to be held on 12th September, 2020. Candidates will attempt this examination using a computer device at their respective locations. Candidates will have to ensure that they can appear for the examination on the appropriate date and time using a computer device as per the detailed specifications that will be provided, including video and audio inputs. NLSIU shall not be responsible for any connectivity issues, or failure of internet connection during the examination. NLSIU reserves the right to cancel any candidate’s examination based on misconduct or examination malpractice.
- Detailed instructions on the online examination process shall be provided to the candidates in due course.
Syllabus and Guide
The NLAT 2020 UG will test candidates on 5 (five) subjects (and the published format of the CLAT 2020 UG) comprising, English Language, Current Affairs Including General Knowledge, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques.
- The NLAT 2020 UG will comprise 4 (four) General Comprehension (“GC”) passages.
- Each GC passage will be accompanied by 10 (ten) questions that candidates will have to answer based on the information provided in the corresponding GC passage and in the questions. NLAT 2020 UG will have a total of 40 (forty) questions.
- Each GC passage will be of a similar length (i.e., ~500 words) and order of difficulty as in the Mock CLAT 2020 UG papers.
- The 10 (ten) questions that accompany each GC passage will have 2 (two) questions each from the 5 (five) subjects.
Question Paper Format
- The NLAT 2020 UG shall be conducted in English.
- The Maximum Marks for the NLAT is 80 marks.
- All questions shall be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- The total duration of the examination is 45 minutes.
- Marking Scheme: 2 marks per correct answer -0.25 marks per unanswered question -0.50 marks per wrong answer
- This is not an open book examination; candidates may not seek assistance from any other person to answer the questions in the examination.
- Candidates will only have 1 (one) attempt at each question. They will not be able to revisit a question once they have moved on to another question.
- Candidates may not take the assistance of any resources, whether electronic, print, or in any other form.
- Following the examination and validation of the Final Answer Key, a General merit list of all candidates will be prepared solely on basis of their marks in the NLAT 2020 UG.
- Tie-break Rule: In case of equal marks, a break of tie shall be made by the following procedure and order: (i) Higher number of correct answers to Legal Reasoning Questions (ii) Higher number of correct answers in the overall examination (ii) Computerised draw of lots
- All candidates will be informed of their Merit rank, aggregate marks and the aggregate mark of the last admitted candidate in their category over email/SMS.
- No consolidated Merit List or Admission list shall be published by the University.
OFFER OF ADMISSION AND PAYMENT OF FEES
- The University shall prepare a Provisional Admissions list on the basis of the Merit List of NLAT. SC, ST, PWD and Karnataka students will be accommodated as per the Reservation Notification 2021 available on our website.
- Selected candidates will be offered Provisional Admission to the University and intimated of the same via email/SMS.
- In order to confirm their seat, selected candidates must accept the Provisional Offer by producing the necessary documents and paying the requisite Fees. Detailed instructions on Acceptance of Offers will be provided by email/SMS and will have to be complied with by the candidate strictly according to the timelines provided. In the event of any default by the candidate, the same seat may be diverted to another candidate according to merit.
- Total Annual fee (including refundable deposits) for incoming students a) General Category and PWD – Rs. 2,62,000.00 p.a. b) SC / ST Category – Rs. 2,58,875.00 p.a. The fees/charges may be revised by the University, but the revised fees/charges will be applied prospectively.
- NLSIU is committed to ensuring that no one who secures admission to NLSIU shall discontinue studies on account of financial constraints. NLSIU will facilitate scholarships, educational loans and bursaries to students to enable them to secure their admissions.
- If a candidate withdraws their admission on any ground, in any of the courses of the University, fees shall be refundable as per the applicable UGC Rules.
- NLSIU reserves the right to unilaterally alter, modify, or cancel any component or stage of the selection process without prior notice.
- NLSIU shall not be liable for any failure of communication, delivery of emails, internet, computer device, etc., during any stage of the selection process.
- The decision of NLSIU on any student’s eligibility, candidature, shortlisting, and selection shall be final and not subject to any appeals or challenges by or on behalf of any student(s).
- By submitting an application for admission, a student undertakes to abide by all conditions of the application process, and further undertakes to furnish accurate, correct, and complete information and documents.
- Any subsequent discovery of malpractice, dishonesty etc. will render the student ineligible to get admission at NLSIU. No incomplete application will be considered. Any admission granted to such a student is subject to be cancelled at any point of time at the discretion of the University.
- NLSIU reserves the right to not grant admission to a selected candidate if any reason justifying such a decision comes to its notice at any stage of the admission process.
Official Notification: View Here