About NMIMS Indore 1st National Debate Competition
Truth is discovered and assimilated or realized by debates and discussions – Ancient Indian Philosophy of Vadashastra.
With the advancement in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) – the world is more accessible and connected than ever before. The continuous revolution in this particular domain along with its huge networks and social media platforms has totally revolutionized humanity. It has become a key variable for our daily information and substantive knowledge.
About the Topic
COVID 19 has thrown various challenges in front of the world. In the absence of its medical solution, one of the biggest challenges is considered to be the rapid spread of infodemic. On 28th March 2020, the Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated that:
“We are not just fighting an epidemic; we are also fighting an infodemic’.
Merriam Webster dictionary defines ‘Infodemic’ as – a blend of information and epidemic, which typically refers to a rapid and far-reaching spread of both ‘accurate’ and ‘inaccurate’ information about something, such as disease. As the world remains technologically well-knitted and the global pandemic has affected the entire planet – the Indian sub-continent is also facing the dual challenge of pandemic and infodemic both.
The topic for this debate competition, ‘Bombardment of Infodemic in Times of Pandemic’.
- The competition is open to all the undergraduate students of any UGC recognised university/institution.
- By applying for the competition, the teams shall be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of the organizing Institution.
Rules of Debate
The competition will be a virtual one and will be conducted via Zoom Application.
- Two participants will be allowed from each University/Institution.
- The debate will be chaired by a ‘speaker’, who will read out the motion.
- The participants of every university/institution will be required to prepare for both the sides – FOR and AGAINST the motion.
- Each Candidate will be allotted 3 minutes for their respective stand.
- Four awards and prizes will be announced – two for winners and two for runners‟ up (for and against the motion).
- The medium of communication will be English only.
- Decision made by the panel of Judges will be final and binding.
- The dress code for the activity is western or Indian formals.
- At any point of conflict, the decision of Host Institution (NMIMS, Indore), will be final and participants have to follow the same.
- School of Law, NMIMS, Indore reserves the right to alter or change the rules or procedure of the competition
- Details and information concerning the debate will be shared through Email and WhatsApp by the organizing committee.
Date of Event – 25th July 2020
Last Date of Registration – 21st July 2020
- Step 1- Participants need to fill details in the Form
- Step 2 – If the registration of Participants is being accepted they will receive a confirmation mail to their registered Email address.
- Step 3 – The participants will have to pay the registration fee of 500 INR per university/Institution (Individually – 250 INR)
- Step 4- After Successful Payment, participants will be informed about the same and they need to follow further instructions, which the participants will be receiving through emails.
For more information: Click here to download Brochure
Dr. Biplove Kumar: [email protected]
Prakhar Swarup: +91-98108 98309
Anshuman Bisarya: +91-98713 99314
Event Reported by: Anshuman Bisarya,