Rakesh Aggarwal Memorial National Debate Competition 2022 (Online) | IIMT | 22 September 2022
Rakesh Aggarwal Memorial National Debate Competition 2022 (Online) is being organised by Ideal Institute of Management and Technology on 22 September 2022. About the Institute Ideal Institute of Management and Technology was established in the year 1999 under the auspices of New Millennium Education Society. The institute is affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, and its… Read More »
Rakesh Aggarwal Memorial National Debate Competition 2022 (Online) is being organised by Ideal Institute of Management and Technology on 22 September 2022.
About the Institute
Ideal Institute of Management and Technology was established in the year 1999 under the auspices of New Millennium Education Society. The institute is affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, and its professional courses in Law and Business Administration are recognized by Bar Council of India and Government of NCT, Delhi. Being a NAAC accredited institution, it melds state of the art infrastructure with quality in education as its paramount principle.
Activities held at the institute are a reflection of the resolve towards perfection instilled by the founding father Late Shri Rakesh Aggarwal whose vision was to develop the institute into a centre for excellence in professional education. The aim of the institute is to cultivate in its students high moral standards coupled with academic excellence to promote market oriented skill development and up-gradation that would help in serving the needs of the society.
From its advent, the Institution has acquired a credible position in the fields of Law, Business Administration, and Computer-Aided Management programmes. It has been nurturing pioneers and forerunners in these fields who have continually attained highly reputable careers as judicial officers, civil servants, advocates, academicians, managers, and professionals in the industries. In pursuit of its mission to grow as an abode of all round excellence, the institute also disseminates a wide and varied array of publications ranging from journals to newsletters and magazines of repute.
About Rakesh Aggarwal Memorial National Debate Competition 2022
A learning community needs to be developed where sharing and cultivating ideas enhance communication skills and move forward thereby empowering ourselves to see a better world. It adds to a greater advantage of knowing the various aspects in and around the world with different views for and against. It enlarges our scope of thought and knowledge. The Debate Competition is not only about competition itself, but an educational extended activity that includes familiarization with contemporary issues of law which provides new and exciting ways of exploring the changing dynamics of the law.
The Competition intends to build dedicated debaters who grow up to become persuasive speakers, analytical thinkers, and proficient researchers. Not only do debaters learn to write well-reasoned and persuasive arguments, but they also learn to love researching and writing. Debate work becomes a satisfying competitive outlet for a student’s creativity and intellect. Moreover, both debate and legal work involve applying relevant theory and precedent to the specific text of a codified law or resolution.
This year the debate revolves around the Legal Implications of Abortion Laws.. Abortion is an extensively discussed issue at both National and International diasporas. The right to life is a very broad concept and the most fundamental of all. In India, right to life has been recognized under Article 21 of the Constitution which says that “No person shall be deprived of his life and personal liberty except according to the procedure established by law”. Person here is inclusive of both man and woman.
Among various rights which a woman has right to abortion is also believed to be one of the essential rights which are available to a woman, the right to abortion is also believed to be one of the most essential and fundamental right. But the question always arises whether an unborn child should be considered as human being and be given the status of a person or not. There are various religious, ethical, moral aspects which are related to right to abortion. The present debate wants to shed light upon the legal aspect of abortion laws and woman reproductive rights in the contemporary times.
Instructions for Participants
- The Competition is open for all the colleges/university students from all countries. Students enrolled in any UG/PG course are eligible to participate in the competition.
- Each team shall comprise two participants with one speaking for and the other against the motion.
- Participants need to submit the Online Registration Form along with the Registration Fees of Rs.700/- per team through the prescribed mode latest by 12th September, 2022. The confirmation for the same needs to be retained.
- The motions will be framed keeping in mind the interests of all the participants.
Structure of Debate
- The format of the debate will be based upon the Lincoln-Douglas model of debating with a few modifications.
- Participants are encouraged to register in a team of two under the banner of their respective institution.
- An institution shall be allowed to send a maximum of two teams for the competition.
- Each participant shall be allotted a maximum of 5 minutes to speak (4 minutes for constructive speech and 1 minute for rebuttal).
- Exceeding the time limit shall prejudice the team’s overall score.
- Participants can choose the medium for the debate as English/Hindi. Switching the chosen language is strictly prohibited.
- The participants will be judged by a panel of judges on the basis of Matter, Manner and Method.
- The decision of the judges shall be final and indisputable.
- The debate shall be conducted through online mode.
- The Competition shall be held on 22nd September, 2022 (Thursday) from 9:30 am onwards.
- The Debate Organizing Committee reserves the right to alter the rules/ regulations at any point which shall be binding there forth.
- E-Certificates shall be sent to the winners and participants on their registered email ids.
- All participants are required to follow the steps given below:
- Download Cisco WebEx App.
- Join the WebEx Link 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
- Mute their microphones and turn off their videos at all times until it’s their turn to speak.
- Refrain from speaking to the audience or other teams except at the times specifically allocated to them.
- Refrain from sharing screen during the programme.
- Refrain from continuous reading from a paper/ electronic device. Such an act shall automatically disqualify the participant.
- Ensure optimal internet connectivity for an enriched learning experience through out the competition.
Code of Conduct
- The host institute shall not be responsible for any issue(s) arising out of technical glitches from the participants’ side.
- Entertainment of any grievance(s) arising out of such issue(s) shall be decided upon by the sole discretion of the Organizing Committee.
- The participants must ensure that they are positioned in a well-lit room and ideally in a silent space without any background noise during the competition.
- The participants must refrain from disclosing their identities and their affiliations/institution till the end of the competition.
- The participants must maintain professional decorum throughout the competition.
- Use of un-parliamentary language/signs will lead to immediate disqualification or non- consideration of marking.
- By registering for this competition, the participants shall be agreeing to all rules, terms, and conditions laid forth in this document and any further rules and conditions that the organizing committee of the host institute may lay down further.
- Best Speaker: Rs. 5,000/-
- Runner Up Speaker: Rs. 3,000/-
- 2nd Runner Up Speaker: Rs. 2,000/-
- Winning Team: Rs. 3,000/-
- Runner Up Team: Rs. 2,000/-
- Chief Patrons
- Smt. Sudha Aggarwal (Chairperson, IIMT)
- Shri Vineet Aggarwal (Secretary General, IIMT)
- Prof. (Dr.) Anil Parkash Sharma (Director, IIMT)
- Event Patron
- Prof. (Dr.) Arun Gupta (Principal, School of Law, IIMT)
- Overall Head
- Prof. (Dr.) Hemlata Sharma (Vice-Principal, School of Law, IIMT)
- Ms. Prerna Gulati (Sr. Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Jasdeep Singh (Sr. Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Namita Sinha (Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Mayank Khari (Assistant Professor)
- Organising Team
- Dr. Ramesh Kumar (Associate Professor)
- Dr. Sangeetha Abraham (Sr. Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Anukriti Gupta(Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Astha Bhatnagar (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Aakanksha (Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Eesh Singh (Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Sidharth Rathore (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Hina Singh (Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Abhimanyu Chauhan (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Mansi Khanna (Assistant Professor)
- Participants are requested to register for the debate through the link.
Registration Link: Click Here
- Last Date of Registration: 12th September, 2022
- Registration Fee: Rs 700/- per team
- Registration fee must be paid through Paytm or through Online Link.
- Programme Code: National Debate 2022
- Institutional Area: Ideal Institute of Management & Technology (School of Law)
Please note: Receipt of payment should be attached with the online registration form.
- Faculty Conveners
- Ms. Prerna Gulati (Sr. Assistant Professor): +91 99100 67763
- Mr. Jasdeep Singh (Sr. Assistant Professor): +91 95556 94998
- Student Coordinators
- Deepanshu Kaushik: +91 99118 00139
- Riya Ridhi: +91 95996 07287
- Lavanya Popli: +91 70119 36011
- Deepankar Sharma: +91 98107 13433
Submitted By: Namita Sinha