The workshop on ‘Research Methods in Intellectual Property Rights’ aims to impart training for properly conducting research, and analyses the results of empirical study to support the findings in IPR policy research. The workshop is jointly organized by DPIIT IPR Chair, Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), DPIIT IPR Chair, Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), and Inter-University Centre for IPR Studies (IUCIPRS). The Workshop is designed for PhD. Scholars in Intellectual Property (IP) Law, Academicians and Post Graduate law students of IP.
About the Workshop
The current workshop is an effort to enrich the Research scholars in Intellectual property on research methodology with hands-on training. This workshop is open for legal academicians who are working in the areas of intellectual property law in India. There is a clear transition from conceptual to empirical research work in the IP research. The core objective of this workshop is to make the target group more capable of handling IP data. All the sessions will be handled with lectures and practical exercises.
1. Dr. Walter Park, Professor and Department Chair, Department of Economics, American University
Walter Park is a professor of economics and currently the department chair at American University and an affiliate faculty at the Washington College of Law, AU, Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property. He is also a special sworn employee at the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Department of Commerce, and serves on the advisory editorial board of Research Policy.
His area of research focuses on the impacts of intellectual property rights on innovation and economic development, as well as on international R&D spillovers, open innovation, and business cycles. He has consulted for the Center for Global Development, European Patent Office, Industry Canada, and OECD, among others. He holds a B.A. degree in economics and statistics from the University of Toronto, M.Phil in economics from Oxford University, and Ph.D in economics from Yale University.
2· Dr. Anson C J, Assistant professor at Inter-University centre for IPR studies
Dr Anson is appointed Assistant professor at Inter University centre for IPR studies at Cochin University of Science and Technology. At IUCIPRS, he was the Principal Investigator of a research project on studying management of Collective Property through cooperative societies. He has published in both peer-reviewed journals and the law reviews. In addition, he has been invited as resource person in numerous IPR related seminars in India.
He also holds a Ph.D. in IPR and Management – worked as a research officer at DIPP Chair of Cochin University of Science and Technology. In addition, he has been invited as resource person in numerous IPR related seminars in India and abroad. Presently, he is teaching ‘Legal Research Methods’, ‘Collective property as an IP’ and ‘IP and Management’ for LLM, PhD and MBA students of CUSAT respectively. He is also coordinating course work for the Integrated PhD programme.
Maximum Intake shall be 35 participants.
- All registered Ph.D. scholars (IPR) from recognized Indian Law University/legal research institutes, Academicians, Post Graduate students (IPR) may send their application (online) for the workshop along with a summary of their research proposal (not more than 300 words).
- The selection committee will select the participants for hands-on training based on their research work, credentials given in the registration form. The participants should have basic knowledge of IPR and computer applications.
- The date of the workshop is June 11, 12 and 13, 2021
- Last date for submission of the application form is June 5, 2021
- List of selected participants will be published on June 7, 2021 and the same shall be communicated to the participants via their e-mail address provided at the time of submission of the online application.
Venue: CISCO WEBEX. Online platform. Link will be shared with the selected participants.
- Necessity of empirical studies in IP
- Introduction to IP data
- Making sense of IP data
- Literature review in IP research
- Use of Web scrapping in IP research
- Registration form is available at https://forms.gle/myPXzRMkYH7yS4XXA
- The link shall remain open till June 5, 2021.
- Application form can be filled and submitted only through the link provided.
- No other modes of submission like courier or other offline modes will be accepted.
- A selection committee will review the application forms submitted based on the credentials given.
- List of selected participants will be published on June 07, 2021 and the same shall be communicated to the participants via their e-mail address provided at the time of submission of the online application.
- Selected participants can make the registration fee payment.
- Details relating to the Workshop will be shared only with the selected participants.
- The selected participants are requested to have their own Laptops to get hands-on experience on the software applications introduced during the Course.
- Registration fee for the Workshop is Rs 1000/- (Rupees One Thousand only). The fee payment link will be shared with selected participants.
- Fee once paid is non-refundable. No participant will be entertained without enrolment.
- Naveen Gopal (Research Assistant, DPIIT IPR Chair, CUSAT)– 9895897061
- Sulok S.K. (Research Assistant, DPIIT IPR Chair, CUSAT)- 9497280522
- Stuti Sowmya (Teaching and Research Assistant, DPIIT IPR Chair, GNLU)- 8412018331(Registration)
- Sayan Chandra (Intern, DPIIT IPR Chair GNLU) – 7003554427
Queries may be addressed to email@example.com
Reported By: Organising Committee