About RGNUL-SAM Conclave: Arbitration in Practice 2021
As the practical aspect of Arbitration, an ever-growing efficacious, speedy, and cost-effective mechanism of dispute resolution, is often ignored and not extensively written about, the RGNUL–SAM Conclave on Arbitration in Practice, 2021 aims to initiate a discourse on the pressing and contemporary issues in arbitration practice in India, and present novel and innovative solutions to the issues faced by all the stakeholders.
The Conclave would be held online and consist of two sessions: Expert Discussion and Paper Presentation Session.
The first session of the Conclave would be an Expert Discussion on Arbitration in Practice, where professionals from SAM & Co. and other experts from the field of arbitration would discuss issues pertaining to arbitration practice. We welcome academics, legal practitioners, and law students to attend the Expert Discussion. This would not only give the attendees insights into the vital issues in arbitration practice but also give them a unique opportunity to interact with the experts from the field. Registration link for attending the same can be found here.
Paper Presentation Session
The Editorial Board of RFMLR invites law students to submit research papers under the below mentioned theme to contribute to the discourse around practical issues in arbitration. After preliminarily reviewing all the manuscripts, the Editorial Board will shortlist entries whose authors will be invited to present their research before the experts from SAM & Co. on the day of the Conclave i.e. May 8, 2021.
Among all the papers presented in the Conclave, the top three will be awarded Certificates of Merit. The author(s) of the top entry will be rewarded with internship(s) at SAM & Co. and a cash prize of INR 10,000. All the other entries selected for presentation will be awarded Certificates of Participation. After a comprehensive review of the papers shortlisted for presentation, the Editorial Board will publish the compilation of the best entries among them.
The sub-themes for papers are:
- Essential Qualities/Qualification of Arbitrators for the Next Decade: Will Accreditation of Arbitrators in India help Parties make a Better Choice?
- Inflated and Frivolous Claims in Arbitration: Whether Introduction of Ad- Valorem Charges on Claims can curb this Practice?
- Unwarranted Delays during Arbitration Proceedings after Completion of Pleadings: Causes and Feasible Solutions
- Quantification of Damages in Arbitration: Are Domestic Arbitrations not getting the Benefit of Expert Witnesses?
- Confidentiality Concerns in Amazon-Future like Arbitration Disputes: How to Implement Confidentiality in Arbitration Disputes in the Court of Law?
- Third-Party Funding and Contingency Counsel Fee Arrangements in Arbitration: Legality and Concerns.
The author(s) may opt to write on any other topic apart from the abovementioned sub-themes, provided that it falls under the ambit of “Arbitration in Practice”. Such author(s) shall submit a Research Proposal (800- 1200 words) to the Editorial Board explaining the research objective and highlighting the key issues and arguments of the proposed paper. The Research Proposals shall be sent for approval to the Editorial Board at [email protected] latest by April 20, 2021.
- Submission of Research Proposal (only for topics outside the aforementioned sub-themes): April 20, 2021
- Submission of Final Paper: April 30, 2021
- Intimation to Authors Selected for Paper Presentation: May 5, 2021
- Date of the Online Conclave: May 8, 2021
- Registration for the Expert Discussion: Click here
- Registration and Submission of Final Papers: Click here
- For further details (including detailed submission guidelines and deadlines), please refer to the brochure Available here.
About Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL) is an autonomous National Law University (NLU) established by the RGNUL Act (No. 12 of 2006) passed by the Legislature of the State of Punjab. The University has been ranked among the top 10 law schools in India in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
RGNUL Financial and Mercantile Law Review (RFMLR) is a bi-annual, student-run, double-blind peer-reviewed law journal published by the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab. The Journal was first published in the year 2014 and gives an opportunity to the legal academia, legal professionals, and law students to contribute cutting-edge doctrinal and empirical research in the field of business and commercial laws. The Journal is indexed on SCC Online and has been ranked the sixth most accessed law journals by SCC Online. The Editorial Board also collaborates with various legal experts and undertakes various academic initiatives to promote study and research in the field of business and commercial laws.
The Editorial Board has also organized a Colloquium on GST Laws in association with Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan Attorneys in February 2020, which witnessed participation from industry professionals as well as students across India.
About Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. (SAM & Co.), founded on a century of legal achievements, is among the leading full-service law firms in India. It is one of India’s biggest and most well-reputed law firms. The firm represents major transnational corporations on their India entry and business strategy and is known globally especially for its exceptional dispute resolution & arbitration practice.
Reported by: RFMLR Editorial Board