Online National Seminar on “Competition Policy and Cartels” is being organised by Centre for Training and Research in Commercial Regulations (CTRCR) of MNLU Mumbai.
Section 2(c) of the Competition Act 2002: “Cartel” includes an association of producers, sellers, distributors, traders or service providers who, by agreement amongst themselves, limit, control or attempt to control the production, distribution, sale or price of, or, trade in goods or provision of services;’ Cartel are anti-competitive agreement between the competitors and are treated illegal by all jurisdictions.
Detection and establishing a cartel is quite a challenging task for Competition Regulators. Boom in the digital market economy has thrown fresh challenges in detecting Cartels. Covid-19, the pandemic may also give chance to competitors to enter into ant- competitive horizontal agreements to make better gains in a stressed economy. Hence Cartels which directly affect consumers need to be looked into with fresh perspective.
- Provide an interactive forum to engage in the discourse on Substantive and Procedural laws in Cartel
- Stimulate research and debate on contemporary challenges in digital market economy with respect to Cartels
- Develop a better understanding of competition concerns in different types of cartels in different market conditions
- Create network among the academicians, researchers, students and industry (particularly those working in the area of Competition Law) so as to develop an environment for exchange of ideas between academia and industry. Conference Sub-themes
- Legal & Enforcement Framework
- Cartels in digital platform market
- Hard Core Cartels
- Soft Cartels
- International Cartels
- Dawn Raids & Investigations
- Calculation of Fines in various jurisdictions
- Punishments: Civil & Criminal Liability
- Leniency Programme
- Extraterritorial Jurisdiction
- Private Enforcement Actions
- Cartels in Pandemic Times
Note: The sub-themes mentioned above are only suggestive. Authors are free to include any issues within the main theme.
This conference is aimed at students, researchers, academicians, executives of companies and practitioners in the area of Competition Law. The conference will have a balance of lectures and presentations from the academia as well as the practitioners.
- There can be a maximum of three Co-Authors for a Research Paper. All the author as well as co-authors will have to separately register themselves by paying the requisite registration fees.
- One co-author or all may present the paper.
- Only those who submit the full paper can attend the conference and present their paper.
Submission of papers
A 500-word abstract of the paper including research questions, methodology and expected results along with one-page curriculum vitae and contact details should be submitted initially.
- Authors of selected abstracts will then be invited to submit full original papers of not more than 5000 words. The paper should be original.
- It should be submitted in word, single-spaced in Times Roman 12 and the margins should be 4.9cm (top & bottom) and 4.5 cm (left and right margins).
- Footnotes should follow The Bluebook: A Uniform System of citation 20th Edition with the font of Times Roman 10.
- On abstract being selected, the author/authors have to register by making online payment. In case of more than one author, all the co-authors have to register separately.
- After registration, participants shall write a mail to [email protected] with subject ‘Registration and Payment Details’.
The mail shall include Amount deposited, date of transaction and transaction ID.
Under Graduate Students
- Early Bird Registration Rs. 750
- Late Registration Rs. 1000
- Early-bird Registration Rs. 1000
- Late Registration Rs. 1500
For Participants of Certificate Course on Competition Law
- Rs. 500
- Last date of submission of abstracts – 26 November 2020
- Review, Selection and intimation to authors – 28 November 2020
- Last Day for Early Bird Registration for Conference – 30 November 2020
- Last Day of Submission of Full Paper – 9 December 2020
- Conference date – 12 December 2020
- Beneficiary Name: MAHARASHTRA NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY MUMBAI
- Bank Name: PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK
- Branch: POWAI (MUMBAI)
- Account No.: 8709000100018239
- IFSC Code: PUNB0870900
Email: [email protected].
Reported by: Dr. Kiran Rai