SVKM’s NMIMS, School of Law, Navi Mumbai brings to you our First National Essay Writing Competition, 2021. The objective of this event is to develop a platform of excellence through diverse opinions of brilliant minds sitting at home and willing to spread their word and bring the discussion of important topics pertaining to COVID-19 to the forefront.
About the Organizing Institution
NMIMS has over the last 35 years grown from a management institute offering a single product namely MBA education to a Deemed to be University offering multiple products through separate schools in Business Management, Pharmacy, Technology Management & Engineering, Hospitality, Architecture, Science, Commerce, Economics, and Law.
In addition to this, the college provides the students with an enormous space to grow, study and further provides mental stimulation by conducting workshops and seminars for the students. The well-curated teaching staff also enables the students to access the educational resources without any hesitation.
The School of Law (SOL) at NMIMS
The School of Law offers students with prospective firsthand learning, allowing them to fully imbibe the knowledge of Law with exposure to Critical Thinking, Legal Writing, Moot Courts. The School of Law apart from this. Also promotes different extra-curricular and co-curricular activities in the form of various clubs and committees.
The Institute also provides the students with top-notch facilities like the moot court, the library, the computer lab, various journals and learning resources. The skilled teaching staff and support staff assist the students to easily integrate into the course and participate in events.
The pandemic has affected people from all levels of life, some people have lost their jobs, some have even lost their beloved family members. In these troubling times, it is important to engage in fruitful activities and one of the ways to do this would be to participate in online events.
The Moot-Court Committee of SOL NMIMS, Navi Mumbai has decided to conduct the 1st National Essay Writing Competition and the theme of the competition is “THE UNPRECEDENTED TIMES OF COVID-19” which encompasses topics that bring the discussion of COVID-19 to the forefront thereby spreading awareness and is a perfect way of engaging into something fruitful by appropriately putting your wits to the test.
We believe that we will be able to create a platform of knowledge, focusing on stimulating discourse in the socio-legal field while also offering a substantial contribution to the fields of legal, social, environmental, political, commercial, and worldwide concerns.
Students currently enrolled in any Undergraduate Degree in any College/University in India are welcome to participate.
* Please note that no student from NMIMS Navi Mumbai Campus is allowed to participate in this event as we solely stand in the capacity of organisers and also to avoid any conflict of interest arising thereafter.
- The format for the essay must be in accordance with the draft attached at the end of brochure.
- The word limit is 4000 words. The word limit is exclusive of the footnotes and abstract. The word limit for the abstract is 200 words.
- Disclosure of information regarding identity of the author(s), including, but not limited to name, institutional assistance, professional details, etc., within the body of the manuscript or other properties of the document submitted will be strictly prohibited. Any violation of the anonymity requirement will lead to disqualification of the manuscript for the purposes of the competition.
- Participants will attach a cover letter with the manuscript submitted including their Name, Institution’s Name, Course, Year of Study, Email address, Contact Number, Topic of Essay.
- All the submissions made shall be the original and unpublished work of the author(s). All submissions will be checked for plagiarism and those with plagiarism percentage over the permissible limit (i.e., 25%) will be summarily rejected.
- A co-authorship of not more than two authors is permitted.
- In case of any dispute, the decision of the organizers will be final and binding. The organizers retain absolute discretion in marking the manuscripts.
- Submissions shall be made on or before 4th July 2021 11:59 pm by sending the manuscripts with cover letter to: email@example.com with subject as: “SUBMISSION: FIRST NATIONAL ESSAY WRITING COMPETITION, 2021.” Late submissions will not be considered for evaluation.
- Font: Times New Roman/Kohinoor; Size 12; Justified; 1.5 Spacing.
- Footnoting Guidelines: Times New Roman/Kohinoor; Size 10; Justified; 1 spacing.
- Citations must follow Bluebook Citation 20th edition format of citation throughout the submission and speaking/explanatory citations are discouraged.
- The draft to be followed is attached at the end of this document.
- If the aforementioned rules are not followed, then 5 marks shall be deducted from the overall total marks of the infringing team.
- Registration starts from 15th May 2021.
- Last date to Register: 29th May 2021.
- Submission of Essay: 4th July 2021.
- Declaration of Result: 16th July 2021.
- The registration fees for Single Author is Rs. 300/- and for Co-Authorship it is Rs. 500/-
- You can register here for the event: https://forms.gle/CV1t6VGJr6Kpq9fx9
Get in touch with us!
- Aditi Pareek (President): +91 88907 18195
- Muskaan Halani (Vice-President): +91 96195 82858
Reported By: Jahanavi Jain