This draft bill titled ‘The National Population (Control and Stabilization) Bill 2020’ has been prepared by Suprabh Garg. He has secured second position in the 1st National Legislative Drafting Competition 2020.
The National Population (Control and Stabilization) Bill 2020
A Bill to revitalize efforts and provide for measures to control and stabilize the population of the country by implementation and promotion of two-child norm and for matters connected therewith and incidental thereto.
Whereas Article 38 of the Indian Constitution, inter-alia, as a directive principle of state policy casts a duty upon the state to secure a social order for the promotion of the welfare of the people by minimizing the inequalities in income, and endeavour to eliminate inequalities in status, facilities, and opportunities amongst its citizens.
And whereas India is projected to become the world’s most populous country by with a gigantic projected population of 1.6 billion by 2024 surpassing China.
And whereas in India, given the limited resources ecological and economic resources at hand, it is necessary and urgent that the provision of the basic necessities of human life including affordable food, safe drinking water, decent housing, access to quality education, economic/livelihood opportunities, power/ electricity for domestic consumption, and secure living is accessible to all citizen.
And Whereas it is necessary to stabilize the population of the country for the promotion of sustainable development with more equitable distribution.
And Whereas it is necessary to ensure healthy birth spacing through measures related to augmenting the availability, accessibility, and affordability of quality reproductive health services to achieve the goal of population stabilization in the nation;
And Whereas it is necessary to provide for measures to control and stabilize the population of the country by implementation and promotion of two-child norms per eligible couple in the country by means of incentives and disincentives.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Seventy-First Year of the Republic of India as follows—
- Short title, Extent, and Commencement
OF INCENTIVES & DISINCENTIVES
Of Benefits & Incentives
- Incentives to Central Government Employees etc.
- Additional incentives to Central Government employees, Public Sector employee etc.
- Extension of incentive to the general public
- Special Benefit to Couple Living under the Below Poverty Line
Of Revocation of Benefits & Disincentives
- Disincentives, Revocation of Incentives, etc.
- Bar on contesting election to Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, State Legislature, etc.
- Bar on applying to ‘Group A’ government jobs
- Bar on Promotion in government services
- Bar on receiving any kind of government subsidy
OF GENERAL EXCEPTIONS
Of Multiple Birth and Adoption of Child
- Multiple Birth out of Second Pregnancy
Of Death or Disability of Child
- Disability of the first or second child
- Death of the child
Of married couple expecting a child at the time of commencement of this act
- Married couple expecting a child at the time of commencement of this act
Of exceptions in cases of polyandrous or polygamous marriages
- Effect of contravention of two-child norm in cases of polygamous marriages
- Actions when in contravention to two-child norm in cases of polygamous marriages
- Effect of contravention of two-child norm in cases of polyandrous marriages
- Actions when in contravention to two-child Norm in cases of Polyandrous Marriages
NATIONAL POPULATION FUND
- Constitution of National Population Fund
- Contribution to National Population Fund
- Utilization of National Population Fund
DUTIES OF APPROPRIATE GOVERNMENT
- Duties of Appropriate Government
- Introduction of Population Control in School Curriculum
- Availability of Contraceptives
- Overriding effect
- Power to make rules
- Power to remove difficulties